Thursday, February 25, 2010

Looking into Teaching English (TEFL) in Thailand and Korea

So seven weeks ago, I prayed for guidance about my highest path and channeling some abundance. A few days later in the Golden Temple in Amritsar India, I met a young man from the US who was teaching English in Seoul. He highly recommended it. And I knew that was the answer to my prayers. I still don't understand all the why's of that path. It's the first time I've ever physically used my diploma (yes, they want to see the real thing!). It's the first time I've felt like I've sold my body (no visible piercings and your told that you represent the school for the term of your contract... so behave!). Actually, I am starting with a TEFL certificate program in Thailand that includes 4-5mos paid work afterwards. I'd love to be heading to Korea now, but the process takes time. And years ago I vowed I wanted to live in Thailand... so this will give me a taste and prepare me for Korea next March.

Anyways, I wrote the following up talking with another faerie interested in TEFL...and you might all enjoy.

Compared to Thailand (starts at about $800/mo up to $1800/mo), Korea pays much better (starting at $1800USD/mo including housing, plane tickets, vacation, health bene's, and one month bonus at completion of one year). I was told as far as pay in S.E.Asia region, it's S. Korea, followed by Japan (higher cost of living), and then China. I've heard that Malaysia is about to implement having a native English speaker in every school.

TEFL certificates run about $300 online, and, in Thailand around $1600. In the US, more like $2000+. The certificates do not seem to be standardized. In Thailand, the best programs from a quality standpoint, imo, are SIT TESOL, Chichester University's TESOL, and CELTA programs. In the US, St. Giles seems pretty high end. CELTA seems to be a more rigorous and standardized program than TEFL/TESOL.

I'm doing a program which is only $950 including accommodation, and includes a 4-5 month work placement at 30,000bht/month with housing provided. They obviously make their money by taking a chunk off the top of the salary. But it seems an easier process, commitment, and payment option than paying more for a class and then searching for a job and getting locked into a year commitment. It means I won't have to go into debt. I suspect they are more of a business than an academic program, but I visited their office, they seemed nice, and it felt ok. If I'd had the luxury of more money to tide me over, I'd likely have signed up for the SIT program, or maybe the Chichester or CELTA.

As far as Korea, the demand is so high, that it's probably possible to get a job w/out a Tefl certificate, but the job I am aiming for in a public school with decent hours/pay/bene's... the certificate will give me a bit of credential, a higher pay. The Korean schools seem to only demand that the TEFL certificate is for a 100 hr plus class. But one of my friends who worked there said that a CELTA certificate would make me stand out. I read something that China as a rule does not recognize online certificates.

The main times for public schools and universities in Korea is March or Sept start dates, and starting the application process 3-4 mos before that is recommended. For the Korean work visa, one needs apostilled copies of diplomas, a criminal background check, etc. Private schools (hogwans) higher throughout the year, and it looks like some public schools may also. But you have to do your research. The program I am aiming for, btw, is SMOE (a Seoul Metropolitan school district). It was recommended to me as being relatively easy (less than 22 hr/week in the classroom; and I think that is alongside of a Korean teacher, so you are just talking in English), and a secure place to work (not some fly by night operation).

That's my download from a month of research!

Oh, useful sites: dave's esl cafe, worknplayconsulting, english spectrum, ajarn.com

No comments: